Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The NFL Combine!

My combine days!

What a great few days! Just like the senior bowl week festivities this is definitely my environment.  I love this place, wheeling and dealing (not really but you know what I mean) and talking football for a living! How can my professional life be better!

                I have never been to the combine or Indianapolis, but this place feels like home.  Just like the senior bowl  week in Alabama , this was not just about the workouts, but also about autograph seekers, coaches looking for jobs, jewelers and tailors looking for clients (yes jewelers and tailors! , LOL!) , groupies (though I must admit they must of kept a low profile, because I did not see any “obvious” ones) trainers looking for new client athletes or getting current athlete clients ready to workout, athletic product salesman’s doing their thing and of course more agents than you can shake a stick at pushing their rookies, free agents and networking with anything that moves!

                I was like a kid in a candy store every single day!  All football royalty was in the house, hall of famers, head coaches, ex-players, all the big shot agents, financial planners, draft experts and anyone else with a football interest. And let’s not forget that the media was everywhere! In restaurants, hotels, alleys, hallways, airports, bars, cigar shops and anywhere else where they think they can get a scoop! They had the lay of the land and were in-tuned to where the networking hotspots were!

                Thankfully I have made friends with well connected combine experience members of the media, who have been more than gracious with their time in showing me the ropes of the combine.  This is crucial as a big key to becoming a successful sports agent is the ability to form relationships with members of the football personnel and scouting departments.  My media friends brought me along as they networked and socialized with the NFL elites.  Tagging along as i did allowed me the opportunity to create, establish, and affirm many relationships that will serve me well as an agent with scouting personnel.  It’s amazing how much business is actually going on after midnight in places such as night clubs, cigar shops and even “steak and shake.”  In this environment I get to listen as scouts talk about their true thoughts on tebow, clausen and anyone else in the draft worth talking about.  The sleepers, those dropping along with the risers and the overrated are all discussed.   This isn’t some shmuck calling a radio station these are guys (media types included) that rely on this information to make a living.  Something tells me they may have a clue. 

Ok Indy, see you next year, by then I’ll have a client or two in the draft at the combine and I should be certified by the NFL as an agent.

               

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment